Sunday 26 August 2007

I am proud to be a Malaysian

I have recently gone on a city tour with 2 foreigners from Afghanistan and Laos. We went to most of the tourist spots in Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya. Both of them are full of praises for Malaysia. They love Malaysia for different reasons. The Laotian loved the high rise buildings and all the great infrastructures that KL has. The Afghan loved the fact that we managed to maintain the greeneries within the city. When they told me again and again that "You have a very nice country", my heart just melt.

Bridges at Putrajaya.

I used to question if there is really a need to spend millions and billions on infrastructures, but I finally understood Tun Dr Mahathir's aspiration. The infrastructures are not established for egoistical reasons, but it is a symbol that represents Malaysia's pledge to be a developed country. I never expect the infrastructures to have such huge impact on the foreigners. But when I found out that they actually look up to our buildings with hope, I saw a glimpse of our nation's hope too.
The only sad part is when we were strolling around the city, they too found that Malaysian's mindset has yet to catch up with the infrastructures. We are still lacking in basic thoughtfulness and courtesy. As we are approaching 50th independence, I wish that the younger generation do not forget the hardships that our country has went through to come to this stage. I also hope that our mentality will mature more holistically. Happy Birthday Malaysia!
p/s: To Saiyid and Thi, you do not have to say thank you to me. It is me who should say thank you for reminding me how lucky I am to be a Malaysian. Thank you!

No comments: