Thursday 6 September 2007

The Putrajaya Floria 2007

In conjunction with 50th National Day Celebration, an international floral festival is held and intended to be held on annual basis from 2007 onwards. I have attended the 2002 Floriade in Netherlands and had expected something similar being done here in Putrajaya. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed to find that the planning and information is not well executed.
First of all, there were no proper map and information on how to go to the Floria destination. Eventhough website is created and advertisements were published in newspapers, the publicity is insufficient.
Secondly, the place is not well laid. Knowing that Malaysian weather is hot and wet, the floors at certain areas were wet and muddy after rain, making our walk quite an unpleasant ones.
Thirdly, I feel that the management seemed to indicate lack of understanding over plant exhibitions. For instance, plants need sunlight and watering. Noted the indoor plant deco were dark and dry. The flowers were dried up and the fruit deco has already growing mold. I may have went there the last day, but all these should be taken into account if the management wants to make it an international event.
Nomatter what, I am glad I went. Found many avid photographers there focussing and clicking away. Learnt a trick or two on how they manage the lighting and exposure.
Among the few exhibits I love are as below:
Heaven & Earth
Indonesian Entry
Japanese Entry
Yellow Orchid Arrangement

Rose Arrangement

Golden Chrysanthemum
USA Entry
Outdoor Daisies
Taiwanese Entry
I have not had a digital camera when I went to Netherlands Floriade in 2002, but you may find some photos in the sites below:

http://www.palacio-cristal.com/FotoAlbum/Fotos/2002/2002-09-29%20Floriade/index.html

http://iacoma.cs.uiuc.edu/~paulsack/europetrip/floriade/

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/tuduce/poze/Holland_2002/tn/floriade13.jpg.index.html

I am not trying to glorify other countries achievement, but we should always learn from others and improve. I believe in "Malaysia Boleh".

No comments: